Saturday, March 11, 2006

Speed!

I'm not quite sure what happened this morning. I made my decision to concentrate on speed over endurance during the week, but still, that's not a good enough explanation.

I wanted to do my usual Saturday morning run which is about 3.7 miles. I run through the park to the far end and then back again. I've done it a few times since I got my stopwatch, and it usually takes around 34 - 35 minutes.

This morning I just wanted to use it as an easy run, nothing too fast. But I got down to Oakwood clock which is roughly half way, looked at my watch and saw 14 minutes. How the hell did I do that?

Coming back it's a bit more uphill, and I thought I was easing off a little. But still, I made it home in 30:31 which actually works out as the fastest pace I've run (other than maybe the second quarter of the half marathon, although apparently some of the mile markers were in the wrong place, so I'm not relying on that). So, the fastest pace I've ever run, including hills and on a day when I was trying to take it easy?

What on earth happened?

I guess I had a little frustration that I wanted to get rid of, and I've run a lot less distance this week than normal, so maybe that just welled up into extra energy in those legs.

As I got back home I ran past the shops at the end of the road. I could see myself reflected in the windows, and it really did look like I was running. Not just jogging, running.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home