Thursday, March 02, 2006

Focus

I've had a little time (although not too much!) over the past few days to really think about my goals for the marathon. At first my only aim was to get round, and that still is the main task. However I do, it will still be my first, and it will still be a day to remember. Focussing on time or performance isn't as important when you take that into account.

But, since the half marathon I've started to really realise that maybe I should set my sights a little higher. I'm capable of more than just finishing by walking a bit, running a bit, crawling the last mile. I have started to actually believe that I'm capable of running it. All of it. I didn't think that I could run a half so easily with only eight weeks training and look what happened, so with plenty of time before September there's no reason why I can't do it.

This isn't about any innate talent for running, or discovering I actually have the running genes of Paula Radcliffe hidden under there. It's about realising that with proper, structured training, and a sensible approach, I can push the fitness I already have just a little further each time I run, and that when you're competing at my level in an endurance sport it's the effort that you put in that affects your result more than anything else.

I've started to believe that if I train right, I will achieve my goals. I'm not going to hide behind an excuse that I'm not sporty or fit enough. I am. Not to run it tomorrow, but to run it in September. I'm going to spend some time over the next month or so really working out a plan with build up races and fitting around other things I already have planned to give me the best chance I can possibly have of breaking that four hour mark. It should be possible based on my progress so far, so it's up to me to do the hard work to make it possible.

I'm so glad that I did the half marathon now as it's really given me a kick in the right direction in realising and believing that I can do this.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home