Sunday, February 19, 2006

On target?

First, the good news. I'm looking good to hit my overall target of 100 miles for February. I'm just under 80 now, so with the half marathon and a couple of 3 mile runs leading up to it I should make it.

So that's the good news.

As for the half marathon preparation, I'm not so sure. I was going well, on plan, and got up to 12 miles two weeks ago. Since then I've not had the time to do a long run, because I was away last weekend and my parents are here this weekend. I can get out for an hour or so (and have been doing), but I don't feel like I can go for a two hour run when they're staying with me and I see them so often. So instead of carrying on with longish runs, the longest I've done is 7.5 miles (today), and the rest have been around the 10k mark. My overall mileage is fine, but all my runs have been around 10k, with nothing longer to help build up my endurance.

I'm hoping that the 12 miles I did will help, but that will be three weeks before the actual race and I'm hoping I won't have lost endurance by the time next Sunday comes round. I'm guessing that it should be fine, but this is all uncharted territory so I don't really know. Anyway, I suppose the main aim is to finish, which I will be able to do even if I have to walk some, but I'd really love to be able to say I ran the whole way.

I guess it's too late to really worry about it now, I've not got time to fit another long run in, and I've done the best I can in the circumstances (at least I've kept my mileage up and got out there to do something, even if it's not what I really should have been doing), and whatever my time is it will be a PB and the furthest I've ever gone.

I should stop worrying and just enjoy it I think, but I'm just a born planner and wondering already whether I could have planned better. It's just the way I am I suppose.

1 Comments:

Blogger Alex said...

don't worry about not being able to fit in a longer run before the half marathon. i did my first half marathon with only having run 10 miles a few weeks before the actual race date. It was fine. Just think, once you pass the 10 mile marker, each step will be one more step in uncharted running territory!

7:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home