Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Planning

I think I said in my last post that I'm an obsessive planner, and so it goes on. I'm already stressing trying to work out exactly what I want to eat over the weekend, and when. Not from a weight loss point of view, but from a fuelling and re-fuelling point of view, making sure that I eat the right sort of food on Saturday before the race, and the right sort of food afterwards.

At the moment I'm looking at fairly normal on Saturday, but with more carbs in the evening than usual. No alcohol. Then on Sunday morning my normal porridge early, with an energy bar about an hour before the start (it starts at 11am and I have to drive a couple of hours over to Blackpool). Then an energy bar straight after, and a lunch (to be determined) either immediately after that or when I get home. I don't want to eat too much at that stage, because I'm considering a celebratory meal out at a moroccan restaurant I've been meaning to try but can't normally justify in the evening, but then I'm sure I'll be starving and I don't want to deprive myself.

I do want to take it as it comes and react to how I feel rather than eating strictly to schedule, but equally I want to make sure I have the right food available so that I'm not craving one thing and ending up eating something else because it's the only thing I have around.

I'm sure I'll ponder more over the next couple of days, and I'm planning a shopping trip on Saturday to stock up on supplies, so hopefully the plan will take a bit more shape before then.

2 Comments:

Blogger Alex said...

For my first half marathon, I ended up eating a lot of pasta on Saturday night and I got kind of ill about it. My stomach wasn't used to eating that kind of food from being on WW, so I felt like I had rocks in my stomach on Sunday morning.

This weekend when I ran my 2nd half marathon, I ate my big meal on Friday night as supposedly the energy from the pasta/carbs will have time to digest and get into your muscles. Then I had more pasta for lunch on Saturday, although not that huge of a serving. On Saturday night, I just had a really small meal of some veggies and lean protein. When I woke up on Saturday, I had some oatmeal and then a Clif bar on the way to the race. My body felt really good. Loaded with fuel, but not too heavy. I highly recommend doing the big meal on Friday night and then eating normal with a more carb-y lunch on Saturday.

Just think of your half marathon as a training run in eating for the full marathon.

12:26 AM  
Blogger K said...

Good luck! Not that you need it, I'm sure. Looking forward to hearing all about it...

11:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home