Thursday, September 21, 2006

Public Accountability

I've been weighing up whether to do this, but I think it will help (although I am generally more sane today. I managed to pack without having a panic attack, although I've been carefully avoiding looking at the clock on the sidebar for too long).

I said yesterday that I'm doing this for me, and I really am. I'm not raising money, I'm not doing this because it's someone else's dream. I'm doing it because it's my dream. It's not for my family or my friends, it's for me. I wanted it, I trained for it, and even if I don't manage it, I've only let myself down and not anyone else.

(On that subject, I haven't technically told my mother than I'm intending to run a marathon, although it's possible she's guessed. I'm waiting to surprise her when I see her on Thursday!)

BUT sometimes a bit of public accountability can spur you on a bit. If I'm not going too well then I could start thinking oh well, I could embelish the story a bit when I get online. They'll never know I actually walked the whole thing and took three days. I'd be lying to myself, and that's what matters, but sometimes it's just too easy to stretch the truth if you're not going to be found out.

So, in the spirit of accountability and to give me that bit more motivation to keep going when it gets tough I offer you the great YP marathon results service. I'm not actually running this, but it's free and I'm giving you all the details you need.

What you need to do is click here, and register for results using my number (F4395). The original info I had said that only three people could register, but the site doesn't mention any limits so having registered my phone number (so I can look at it every 10 minutes on Sunday evening) I'm letting you have the info. If it doesn't let you sign up, sorry. Also, if it doesn't work, that's not my fault either.

Of course, you don't actually have to sign up. It's just the knowledge that someone might have signed up that's enough to dissuade me from bending the truth a little when I get to write my race report!

(You can also watch the race here if you're in the US and want to pay out for it. I should point out though that I doubt I'll be up there with Haile and Sammy so the chances of seeing me are rather slim...)

4 Comments:

Blogger GetStrongGirl said...

Thats Exciting! Im all Signed up! Good Luck!

10:08 PM  
Blogger anna said...

You've already done all the hard work, I'm sure the miles will just roll under your feet like clockwork. Have a great time!

2:12 AM  
Blogger LBTEPA said...

GOOD LUCK!!!
I'll be thinking of you on Sunday

(long time lurker, 2nd time commenter, HUGE fan but not in a scary way or anything)

5:35 AM  
Blogger Junie B said...

i cant wait to hear about it all!!!

3:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home