Sunday, September 03, 2006

Taper-tastic

So, that's it then. The training is over, and it's time for the taper.

I did my last long run today. It was meant to be 20 miles, but I ended up only doing 17. The fact that I was disappointed to "only" run 17 miles (after a couple of very disrupted weeks with trips away - to Prague and to see my grandparents) really does show how far I've come.

In the next three weeks, conventional wisdom says, I can't do much to improve my performance in the marathon. I can only do things that will make me pick up injuries or get too tired. It's time to take it a bit easier. It's also time for a bit of reflection.

My training seems to have slacked off a bit in the past month. I've cut the length of a couple of runs, and I've had a week where I hardly ran at all (in Prague). I know that I could have trained better over the past month, and it pisses me off a bit that I haven't.

But equally, I ran 17 miles today in under 3 hours. Pretty close to 10 minute miles throughout. This time last year I was still stressing about trying to run a 10k in under an hour (and failing to do it on the big day). Two years ago I was over 18 stone, and even though I'd started getting fitter and thinner I didn't dream I'd ever be fit enough to run a marathon. Or indeed run at all. Three years ago the thought of getting fit had never even crossed my mind.

So what if my training hasn't been perfect, and if that sub-4 hour marathon will have to wait for a while. I've still put myself in a position where I know I'll be able to finish the run, even if I don't run it all, and I'll still get that medal whether I finish in 3 hours or 6.

I like setting myself tough targets, and having the 4 hour goal in my head has concentrated the mind at some times. But I also realise that, while it's still possible, it's not the be all and end all. If I finish the marathon, then that's a victory in itself. Lose 100lb and run a marathon. Check.

So anyway, it's time to relax a bit and try to let my legs recover a bit. Roll on the marathon - only 3 weeks to go!

1 Comments:

Blogger Junie B said...

you're going to do great!

and if its not sub4 dont beat yourself up!!!

good luck!!

1:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home