Friday, March 17, 2006

49:30

Was how long it took me this morning to run... 10k! I said that I was aiming for a sub-50 minute 10k eventually, but didn't think I'd crack it so soon. A couple of caveats are that it was on the treadmill rather than in a race, and I want to break the mark outside, in a proper race, but still, it will do me as a real indication of how much I've progressed. I've got a 5 mile race now (on Sunday) and I'll see how that goes. 40 minutes might be optimistic as there are apparently a couple of hills to deal with, but you never know, it's a target to aim for at least.

The more I push myself in training the more I realise that maybe in some of the other races I've done I've not actually pushed myself hard enough and that I just run at a slow steady pace I know I can maintain rather than really racing it. I've always been running races at the upper end of my endurance capability. Now I'm dropping down to a distance that I know I could run twice over (and still have petrol left in the tank) so I think it's time to pick up the speed rather than just concentrating on being able to get round.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home