Wednesday, July 26, 2006

The RW forum is bad for you...

It gives you too many bad ideas.

I was on there for too long last night. After checking up on the threads for the races I'm running I started rooting around and made two discoveries.

Firstly, ballot application forms for London 2007 are out. I picked one up today I was so excited. But in an unprecedented show of restraint I'm not going to fill it out until after Berlin. I'm almost certainly going to apply, but I want a number to fill in in the box "previous marathon PB". I'm so vain! I'm not particularly hopeful that I'll get a GFA time (it's still possible, and I'm certainly still hoping to get under 4 hours, but 3:45 just seems a little optimistic right now. Maybe if I start really getting my training back on track?) but if you want to make a GFA application you can't apply to the ballot too. As the closing date for the ballot is a month after Berlin I figure that I've got time to wait and see. Just in case miracles happen.

The second discovery is the most worrying though. I'm getting stupidly tempted by the thought of triathlon. But worse than that. There was a big contingent of RW people doing an ironman at the weekend and part of me was reading the reports thinking what an achievement it would be to finish that, and that it wouldn't be too bad, really.

Erm, what did I just say? Somewhere around 2 hours swimming, 100 miles (I think) on the bike and then a marathon? Not too bad?

Stop right there.

I tell you, hanging around that place plays with your mind. It is too bad, it's insanity.

Don't worry, I won't be signing up for one just yet, and possibly never (although I would like to try the shorter, more manageable tris to see whether I could hack the three discipline thing), but part of me likes to have a seemingly unachievable challenge to aim for, long term.

For years that unattainable dream has been to run a marathon. The dream of something that I never thought I'd be fit enough to do. Now I've realised that I can do that I need something else to aim for. Not in the next six or twelve months, but just to see whether it's possible.

Enter the RW website at your own risk...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home