Sunday, June 25, 2006

Perfect

The 14 mile run was fantastic!

I prepared better for it yesterday. I made a real effort to eat a few more carbs, and then I prepared some Lucozade to take with me rather than just water.

I set off at a better pace. Instead of trying to run at my normal pace and then needing walk breaks, I really tried to pull myself back and plod along at a slow pace. It averaged out being a quicker pace then running faster and walking, and psychologically it was a far better thing to do because it made me believe that I can really run the distance as opposed to merely covering it on foot.

I did mainly the same route as last weekend, and I didn't let it beat me this time. I had a planned walk at just after 8 miles where I knew there was a steep but short hill that wouldn't take too much extra time to walk up rather than running it, and other than that I was fine until about the 11 mile point, which is far further than I've run in any run other than my first half marathon.

After about 11 miles I got stomach twinges and when I stopped for a breather and tried to start again my hip felt a bit sore. So I walked for a few minutes and then ran again for the rest of the route. I had to modify the end part of my planned route as I realised that it went round the course of the 10k I decided not to do, and I didn't want to get in the way of the runners (particularly as I would be running in the opposite direction, and it was due to start just after I got down to the park). Given the hip issues I could have gone straight home, which would have made the run about 12 miles, but miraculously I was still feeling good, and the hip pain had worn off, so I just modified my route a bit to get those extra 2 miles in without getting in the way of the race, and I got back to the front door after 13.96 miles (close enough for me!) and 2 hours 20 minutes, which was almost exactly the 10 minute miles I'd been hoping for as a decent long run pace if I'm aiming for 8:30 - 9:00 in the marathon itself.

I'm feeling a lot more confident after that, it just goes to show what a good run can do for you!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home