Sunday, July 30, 2006

Ouch

I was going so well this morning. I was aiming for an 18 miler, and got to about 8 miles feeling surprisingly OK, considering the heat. I guess it might have been a bit cooler than previous days but the sun was still pretty strong, for England at least.

Then, out of nowhere, my hip just went. Putting my foot down was agony and I had to stop immediately. This wasn't one of those niggling pains that you can run through, it was stop and moan with pain territory.

So, decisions. Do I attempt to run/walk it off and carry on with the planned run, or do I cut my losses and head home. I was at just about the closest point to home I'd be at for the next few miles (I run three miles out to the edge of the city then I do a five mile loop from there, and I'd just got to the end of my first loop, three miles from home). I realised that much as I want to get long runs under my belt, getting injured won't help, and being further from home when I decided to give up also wouldn't help.

So I set off back, walking. The first mile was agony, the second slightly better, and by the third I was almost in a state where I'd have considered running again, if I hadn't mentally switched off and already worked out when I was going to try 18 again before trying for 20 (next Sunday, which was meant to be a cutback week with a 13 mile run). So, hopefully it's nothing serious, although it is something I'll have to watch.

The good news is I've worked out how to fit all my long runs in without missing any, and I've also got more confidence that if I do pick up a twinge on the big day I can walk it off and start running again.

I went for a three mile walk this afternoon too, just to loosen it up a bit more. It seems to be pretty much fine. I was really concentrating on my walking technique - I suspect the hip pain is linked to my dodgy knee, because I'm modifying my running style to accommodate my knee. So I went back to the basics of walking (the advantages of having had physio as an adult - I actually remember being taught how to walk!) and really focussed on hitting the ground and pushing off well. It seemed to help my knee as well as my hip, so the aim for the week is going to be to watch how I'm walking and make sure my technique is good. (And the same for running, as far as possible).

1 Comments:

Blogger K not Kay said...

Hope it's nothing serious! And good on you for stopping when it first started hurting, that can be a tough decision to make sometimes. :)

12:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home