Saturday, December 16, 2006

Sinking In

So I signed up for Edinburgh, and had kind of forgotten how hard the whole marathon training thing is. Then on Wednesday I did a HILLY half marathon training run with running club, and I've been feeling it in my hamstrings ever since. And that was only 12.5 miles. It was a timely reminder of how much hard work Edinburgh is going to take.

I am thinking of changing my training this time round though, with an emphasis on fewer, longer, faster runs during the week and then the long run at the weekend. Quality miles over quantity, basically.

I've also been thinking about my goals. I look at other people who have similar 10k and half marathon times as me, and my marathon time is way slower than theirs. A sign that the distance and the conditions and the dodgy german sports drink beat me last time, really. So this time I want to go faster, but I don't want to set stupid targets. I should be able to go under 4 hours, but that doesn't mean that I will. For now I'll aim for about 4:20 which would be 30 minutes faster than Berlin, and steady 10 minute(ish) miles. That's enough of an aim for now. If training goes well I might reassess, but there will be other marathons to tke more time off. I don't need to do it all at once.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home