Saturday, December 09, 2006

Get out there and do it

For a lot of today I wasn't sure whether I'd make it out for a run. Even though I took it easy at last night's office party to make sure I couldn't use a hangover as an excuse, I woke up and I started making excuses anyway.

It was frosty, and I was tired after a late night. So I decided to go to the supermarket first, while it was quiet, then run just before lunch. I went outside and the car wouldn't start. Fantastic. So having waited an hour for the breakdown bloke to come with some jump leads, and then driven around for half an hour to charge the battery up a bit, and spent longer than I was intending in the supermarket because everyone else had descended in the meantime, it was nearly lunchtime by the time I got back. I decided to eat.

And then I decided I couldn't run straight away, because I needed to digest. But with it going dark at about 4pm, if I didn't get out by 2.30 I wouldn't be able to do the 9 - 10 miler I had planned. My mind started making excuse after excuse until at about 2.15 I managed to give myself a kick up the arse and put my running stuff on. Yes, it was cold outside but it was a lovely, bright, frosty day, the sort of day which just asks for you to go out and run in it. So I put some warm stuff on and finally got out there, with the promise that I could cut the run short to about 5 miles if I really wanted. Of course, once I got going and got into the swing of things I ran pretty much right up until it got dark, and ended up adding a bit of extra distance and running closer to 10 than 9 miles.

I need to keep reminding myself that I can hardly think of a time where I've regretted going out for a run, no matter how much I try to put it off. But on the other hand, there have been too many days already that I waste, and don't run but then wish I had.

Even better, I'm only 25 miles away from my 1200 mile target for the year. I might even be able to make it to the finish line by the end of the week, particularly if I do the half marathon club run on Wednesday rather than the normal 10k route...

1 Comments:

Blogger K not Kay said...

Oh goodness. This sounds sooooo familiar. Kudos to you for getting out. As they say - it's never so bad once you get going (with anything)... now, if only this whole process of reminding/motivating yourself was just a tad easier, lol!

11:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home