Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Overtraining?

I'm having a bit of a wobble at the moment. A lot of people I know seem to be getting injured, and my legs have started to feel tired all the time. I'm worried that I'm overdoing it a bit, but I'm trying to judge how much tiredness is good (it teaches me to run on tired legs) and how much is too much. Difficult.
I know that last week I overdid it. Because I knew that I wouldn't run much over the weekend, I crammed a lot into the first part of the week. After a half marathon PB on Monday, I went to running club on Monday, did a tempo run on Tuesday and then attempted a long run on Wednesday, after a heavy lunch. Unsurprisingly, the attempt failed and I gave up just after 10 miles (having already had an unscheduled toilet stop after 6). But I'm consoling myself with the fact that even if I didn't do a long run last week, I also didn't injure myself attempting it. So it could have been worse.
After a bit more rest (from running, at least) over the weekend I tried to get back into it, but my legs still feel a bit sluggish. Having said that, they did seem to get a bit better towards the end of my 10 miler this morning, as though they needed a few easy miles in them to get them back up to speed again. It was scheduled as 11, but I only had time for 10.3 before work. I'm sure it's close enough. My hamstrings feel nowhere near as sore as they did yesterday, so fingers crossed a couple of good stretching sessions after my runs have sorted them out.
I know that I'm down to the last three or four weeks of hard training, and the end is in sight. But these three or four weeks are hard, and important so I don't want to be fighting off niggles to try to get through them. I suppose I need to take my own advice and listen to my body, but it's hard sometimes when you want to train as hard as you can, and when you want to turn out for things like cross country - with the temptation that when they don't fit into your schedule you do them in addition to what you're meant to be doing instead of moving things around.
Note to self: rest is training too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home