Saturday, January 12, 2008

Distance

So, after a bit of recovery, a bit of fun racing the HPTT and a bit of rest, it's time to start building up for FLM, and taking things seriously. This time round I'm adding a bit more speedwork into the schedule (assisted by the Garmin and its ability to put me through my paces on interval workouts), and trying to do something more than lots of miles all at a similar pace. Hopefully that will be the breakthrough I need for sub 3:45.

Today was my first real attempt at a long run since Amsterdam. I don't really count New York as a run, and since then I've not done more than 10 miles at once. I've done days when I've done more, 5 miles to HPTT, 5k race, 5 miles back, but not all in one go.

Today's aim was 12 - 14, and I surprised myself by going 15.5, with the last few miles being the fastest as evidence that I still had plenty in the tank to keep on going to somewhere which was more convenient for a bus home. Average pace was 8:52 which isn't too shabby at all (PB marathon pace is 8:49), and I didn't feel like I was pushing it too much. I know it's much faster than the schedules say I should go, but if I feel comfortable on the run I don't like running slower than I have to, particularly when it starts to rain and I start to get hungry!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home