Friday, June 08, 2007

Targets

So, I don't think I'll ever knock 59:15 off a PB again, but I still have targets.

Amsterdam - sub 3:45. I actually printed out a sub 3:30 schedule earlier, not because I think I'll be that fast, but because I want to be between 3:30 and 3:45, so I thought I'd print out the schedules on either side of my target.

Actually, I was shocked earlier. I knew that I'd beaten the times of the three girls who did London this year from my running club, but I started looking back through times. Last year at London only one of my club "colleagues" was faster than I managed in Edinburgh, and in Berlin 4 of what I consider to be the "fast" group (all men) ran, and only 2 beat my Edinburgh time - and one of those only beat me by a minute. OK, I know Berlin last year was horrible, because I was there, but still, it made me realise how well I actually did.

My other target for the next couple of months isn't the 10ks I'm doing. I've got 2 lined up before I ramp up the mileage again, but they're both big races and possibly too crowded for a good time. But I've got a 5k. My firm is sponsoring it, and they've asked for people to turn out for a big "corporate" presence. It's not far away so I've said I'll do it. But then I started thinking, it's only a small race, and if I can finish 9th woman in Pulse when I was trying not to push it pre-Edinburgh, maybe I can actually get a decent placing. And of course I want to beat all the other people from work. So maybe that's my target race rather than the 10ks. Although racing a 5k scares me. I've only ever done 2, one was RFL which was my first race, and the other was over a year ago. the first mile and the last mile of any race are always hard, and with a 5k that doesn't leave much in between. It scares me that I now think of a 5k as a "sprint" rather than something to be slogged through to the end, but that's how I now see it, and I'm not looking forward to running that fast after all the distance running, but I have professional pride to maintain if other people from work are there!

So the next month will be spent on speedwork. I know I can run 3.1 miles, but can I run it fast enough?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home