Sunday, May 20, 2007

PB Alert

In the end I decided that a bit of speed wouldn't kill me before Edinburgh, so I decided to see what my legs could do without going all out.

My 10k PB from way back last April was 47:44. I've only done two 10ks since then. One very hot race in London last June, the week after a half marathon, and the Abbey Dash shortly after Berlin and Amsterdam. Neither were going to make a dent in what was the high point of my pre-Kirkstall running at Rothwell last year.

I felt like I should be able to knock a bit of time off that PB. Not much, but I thought that something around 46:30 was a reasonable target to hit at some point soon. I just didn't know whether today was the day, or whether the hills on the course and the fear of going out too hard before Edinburgh, combined with my lack of speed training, would mean I fell a bit short.

It was a really local race, so I jogged about a mile to the start to warm up. There were a couple of other people from running club doing it, including someone who has just joined and is also doing Edinburgh. In the club runs we've done so far she's seemed a fairly similar speed to me, so I wanted to beat her as a bit of a confidence boost (not least because she did 4:05 at London and was disappointed with it so entered Edinburgh - so if I can persuade myself I'm faster than her it will give me alast minute burst of confidence).

Not much to relate on the race itself. I realised that I haven't done a 10k recently enough to have any idea about pacing, other than just run for it. Luckily I now think of 10k as fairly short, so I could do just that.

In the end I came in at 47:08 or so, which was a PB but not quite the time I'm aiming for this summer. There were parts of the race where I could have run better though, so it's not unachievable. My time was actually a nice balance between a morale boosting PB and a pace where I'd have tired myself out too much to back up next week.

I think, from my counting on an out and back section near the end, that I may have been in the top 10 or so women. It was only a small race, so that's not quite as impressive as it sounds, but it would still be nice if it's true.

So now the race kit gets washed, and the next time I'll put it in will be in Edinburgh. No second chances now, it's the big one.

1 Comments:

Blogger Kate said...

Nice work! I hope I can get my 10k PB down to your level this season!

6:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home