Saturday, March 03, 2007

Best Long Run EVER

I ran 20 miles (well, just under 20 miles) and I RAN ALL THE WAY!!!

I'm so proud of myself. I managed to do the run in 3:02 too, which is only a bit over 9 minute miles. Possibly quicker than I was aiming for, but I felt OK so I kept on going... and going... and going.

This was the route of my best long run pre-Berlin, but that day I took walk breaks to take gels, and I did a fair bit of walking in the last 6 miles or so. And I was over a minute per mile slower too. Even better, this time I feel like I can still walk, and I might even drag myself along to cross country tomorrow if my legs feel up to it.

But the big thing is that I ran every step of it. Last year my training seemed to start disintegrating once I started adding walk breaks into my runs. Mentally that gave me the attitude that the important thing was finishing, rather than running the marathon. Now, I'm not knocking walk breaks, and just finishing a marathon IS a bit achievement. But based on my form over half marathons (even my form back then, let alone the times I'm knocking out now) I know that I'm a better runner than that, and I should be able to make a better go of running all the way. So once my legs recovered from Berlin I made it my aim not to take walk breaks in my runs, and to build up my runs so that I ran all the way every time. Of course, if I pick up a niggle I'm not going to be anything stupid, but if I come across a hill I'm going to run up it slowly rather than walking up it and re-starting at the top. I am a runner and I will run, not walk.

And if I can run all the way in Edinburgh I'll be a very happy girl indeed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home