Saturday, April 22, 2006

Marathon fever

I'm getting strangely excited by the build up to London. Not that I'm running it, but in 5 months I'll be doing my own marathon preparation, and the buzz and excitement is really hitting home. Even though it's not my day tomorrow, it's still really hit me that I used to watch this stuff on the tv, wishing that one day I'd be able to do it, and now I can. Now I'm really able to set off on that training journey, and I'm that person, finally.

I'm planning on skipping my run tomorrow to watch it on tv, I have a long run planned for monday morning instead to make up for it, and I want to savour the atmosphere (or as much of the atmosphere as comes across) and remind myself of what I'm undertaking and why I want to do it.

And then I'll be keeping my eyes open for the ballot entries for next year...

I've got over 20 miles for the past two weeks which is a slight increase on my "easy" post half pre full training plan. I think I worked out that I really want to be starting the full training at the beginning of May, so with another slight increase in mileage next week I should be pretty much set.

I did learn the dangers of pushing myself too hard this week though. On Thursday I tried a hill run on the treadmill but due to a brain explosion I couldn't remember what speed I normally do hills at and set it far too fast. After 15 minutes I felt like dying, and just about made it to 5k in 26 minutes. I was worrying how I ever thought that I could run 26 if I struggled so much with 3 miles. But then on Friday I did an easier, but longer, run and realised that I can do it. I must keep stop trying to push myself faster - at the moment I can run 5 or 6 miles at my target marathon pace relatively comfortably, and if I can increase that distance, that's all I need. I don't need to be huge amounts faster at this stage, I just need to work at things steadily, and not try to do too much and discourage myself.

So I really need to try to stick to the plan. Including the rest days ;)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home