Saturday, September 08, 2007

Good long run

I had a surprisingly good long run today. My training this time rounds seems to have been a bit disrupted, with holidays and climbing and relay races, which have interfered with getting proper long runs in. I've been managing to fit in runs up to about 15 miles, but not as many really long ones.

Today's task was to change that, and boy did I succeed. 22 miles! I set off with a vague idea of where to go, but hadn't plotted it out properly on a map. As ever, as I was running I came up with a couple of ideas to make it a bit more off road (and a bit longer), and because I've only just put my footpod on my new trainers they haven't been calibrated yet and I wasn't exactly sure of my distance.

But when I got to the turning round point, I'd already been running for over 2 hours, and I knew it was over an hour back to town, which would take me past my normal long run duration of about 3 hours. When I set off I'd been intending to run back home rather than into town, but when I'm running along the canal I know it's flat and easy into town, and hilly and nasty to home, so I tend to end up in town and get a bus back. I can cope with hills at the start of a long run, but after about 15 miles they look rather less appealing!

I seemed to be going a bit slower than I normally do even on long runs, but not horribly slow (9:20 pace). Probably about right, really. I kept running to the end, and only took a couple of walk breaks when I came across some tricky off road bits, and with a couple of brief stops to work out which direction I should be going in. My last real walk break was after about 1:40, so I was pleased that I managed to finish the run as strong as I started it.

In the end just over 22 miles took me 3:25. That's not bad at all, really.

I walked around in town for about half an hour at the end, dripping sweat and eating before I could face the bus ride home - not least because I wasn't keen on sitting down until I'd cooled down a bit as I feared that I might not be able to get up again! And now I have the rest of the weekend off, there is something immensely satisfying about getting your long run done first thing on Saturday!

1 Comments:

Blogger Rev said...

Good lord, that's a terrific run! I finished a 2 hour walk yesterday and got home imagining how accomplished I'd have felt if I'd been running that long. You're doing splendidly, you know. I hope to do so well myself some day. :)

12:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home